Monday, January 30, 2006

 

NAVAJO INDIAN BLANKET

If you have read any of my previous postings on this blog you may well have noticed some apparent errors. I'm referring to those of a "typographical" nature. You may have wondered why they're there--why they weren't removed. I think you deserve to know so I'm going to tell you.

Among my former students and colleagues there are those who most certainly recall my telling them about the Navajo Indian blanket. Usually my explanation came shortly after I handed out something that I had typed out. Here's a typical example of how it went. First there was an announcement by one of my students that went something like this.

"Mr. Peekel, I found a mistake! I found a mistake on the test you just gave out. It's on page three...." the student blurted out with a mixture of satisfaction and stupefaction.

Fighting back my temptation to comment on the inappropriateness of speaking before raising a hand and being called on I smiled and simply said "That's no mistake!"

"But, Mr. Peekel, it's right here. It says ...." she continued with the hint of indignation that exists in some honors students on occasion.

"I said it's no mistake. I know it's there. I put it there intentionally. On purpose!" I calmly contended.

"What? You did what? On purpose?"

Another student chimed in with "An intentional mistake? That's far out! Hey, I don't get it."

"Well, maybe you'll understand if I tell you about the Navajo Indian Balnket" I announced with a particular pleasure.

Then I told them about the time I was in Arizona visiting a friend. We went to a presentation about Native American arts and crafts. The presenter explained that the Navajo Indian blankets with their intricate goemetric designs are woven intentionally with a mistake--a flaw that is so small that it's seldom detected. The weavers believe that it would be a "mistake" to attempt to create a "perfect" design because only the Great Spirit can do such a thing. Also, the flaw in the blanket lets the Evil Spiits escape.

"So, class, that's why I don't create perfect handouts. You wouldn't want any evil spirits trapped in there, would you?"

My account is usually greeted with a few congenial nods and winks mixed with many more moans and groans. And there's always the student who is quick to come to the inevitable conclusion.

"Mr. Peekel, does that mean when we make a mistake on something we hand in ...?"

I cut the student off at the pass and said with a broad grin "Stranger, not as long as this sheriff is in town!"

Now back to my postings on this blog. You deserve a further explanation. I'll be short and to the point. My dial-up connection in my "tree house" does not enable me to access Blogspot to create my postings.

So I have to type them out an my laptop and carry my laptop into town. Because I can't transfer them onto the computer there I have to read off my laptop and type them into the computer at the Internet Cafe. Furthermore I haven't figured out how to use spell check on Blogspot.

I try to edit as I go and proof read afterwards, but I'm usually in a rush to catch the bus or beat the rain home on my bike or get off the computer because someone has been waiting forever or because I don't have enough money with me to pay for any more time on the computer or for some other reason/excuse you may consider suspect. But, hey, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

If you've read this far you deserve to know that I'll be incommunicado for the next 2 weeks. Sam, the son of long-time friend David from my years in Appleton, WI back in the mid 60's, is coming to visit me. The two of us will be heading off to Panama later this week. Costa Rican law requires me to leave the country for a least 3 days before the 3-month anniversary of my arrival here.

We'll take a bus from Puerto Viejo to the border town of Sixaola and walk across a bridge into Panama. From there it'll be a taxi, bus and boat ride to an island just off the northeast coast of Panama. You'll find details of our adventure in a future posting.

Sam and I will also travel together to the Bribri community in Yorkin. It will be my third visit there. I have arranged for Sam to stay for several weeks as a volunteer teaching English as a second language and helping to construct additional accommodations for tourists.

I am very envious. Only my obligation to "house sit" is keeping me from joining Sam for an extended stay there. There's something very special about the people I've met there and the place where they live. The friendships we've fostered mean a lot to me.

If it weren't for my plane ticket back to the States on March 21st I'd go to Yorkin when my landlady returns from her vacation. Perhaps my travels will take me back there next year. The idea of returning as a volunteer English teacher has crossed my mind, you can be sure of that. We'll see....





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?