Thursday, August 01, 2013

 

A Report to My Congregation on My Church Mission Trip to a Russian Orphanage in the Summer of 2013

A Reflection on My Experiences While on My Church Mission Trip to a Russian Orphanage in the Summer of 2013 --  by Art Peekel

My experiences at the orphanage for special needs children near St. Petersburg were extraordinarily memorable and meaningful in many respects: the place, the program and, most important, the people.

There were the administrators, the care givers and, most important, the children.
The highlight for me, as you can well imagine, was the children.
One in particular touched me deeply. His name is Artem.

Artem is 18 years old.
When he was born his brain was damaged.
He cannot hear or speak.  Mentally he is about 4-5 years old.  He cannot read or write.
Artem’s mother abandoned him at birth.

We met soon after I arrived on my 11-day visit.
As he approaches people he grins broadly and thrusts his open hand toward you.
He wants to shake your hand. And he does so vigorously and methodically

Before you realize what’s happening, he has pulled your wrist up to his face and he’s looking at your watch.  Artem is fascinated with watches.

I had been told to bring with me any old watches.  Didn’t make any difference if they worked or not.  So I gave him one.  It didn’t work.

Well, it did make a difference to Artem.
He pointed out to me that the one I was wearing did work.  And the one I had given him didn’t.
Yes, he was happy with the watch.  But he continually reminded me that it didn’t work.

So, later in my stay I managed to take the watch to have the old battery replaced with a new one.
Artem was ecstatic when I gave it back to him. 
He eagerly showed everyone his watch with the hand that wonderfully ticked off the seconds..

In return he proudly gave me this plastic blue wrist band that I am wearing.
It had been given to him by a volunteer from another program.
And for the remainder of my stay he repeatedly reminded me of our exchange of gifts.

There are many other episodes to share about the times Artem and I spent together.
I taught him how to make a paper airplane.  And we flew it.  We also thumb wrestled.
Played tick-tac-toe. Rock, paper, scissors. The game of “War” with a deck of cards.

Near the end of our stay the group of us on the mission trip each took a child on a walk to an ice cream parlor in the nearby town.  Like the others, Artem and I walked hand in hand.  I soon realized that he was leading me there.  His joy was obvious and contagious.


On the way he picked me a bouquet of wild flowers.
On the way back to the orphanage he put a large weed in the button hole of my shirt.
Then, with a boyish grin, he grabbed a hand full of cockleburs and stuck them on my pants.

In closing I want to share with you a lasting memory of my final day at the orphanage.
In preparation for our departure, the men had folded our sheets, pillow cases and blankets and stacked them on our mattresses.  Our suitcases were packed and stood by our beds ready to go.

Artem appeared at our dormitory door and, per usual, announced himself with the only sound he could make—a guttural noise which we all readily recognized.
I looked his way. But he was looking at our beds and suitcases.

He stood still.  Then he became silent.  Artem was trying to calculate what this all meant.
He looked back at me. Placed his palms together and put them to the side of his face.
He tilted his head.  His questioning eyes met mine.

He pointed at me and then at my bed.  Again he put his palms together aside his tilted head.
The gesture was repeated.  I felt his need to communicate, to understand and to be understood.

Quickly I walked to him.  We stepped out of the room, down the hall and into the garden where we had spent time together every day of my visit.  Along the way he put his arm around me.

There in the sunlight Artem extended his hand.  His handshakes were always firm.  But this one seemed especially so, as if to reassure himself and me.  He dropped my hand and pointed to me. To the watch I had given him.  Then to himself.   His charade carried a deeper meaning.

Artem paused momentarily then continued by taking a hold of my right wrist with his left hand.  With his right hand he pointed to the wrist band he had given me.  Then to himself.  And lastly to me.  He went through the whole routine several times.  His body language was speaking to me.

I would not have understood him if he could have spoken to me in Russian.  He would not have heard me if I could have spoken to him in Russian.  He could not talk or hear, yet we had learned to communicate.  During our short time together we had gotten to know each other. 
There was an understanding between us.  We had bonded.  And now we were parting.

I gestured that I was leaving soon—that I had to go.  He realized that I would not be back to sleep at the orphanage.  Without hesitation Artem hugged me tightly. As we parted a sad smile spread across his face.  I fought back the tears as we turned and walked our separate ways.

My experiences there at the orphanage were bitter sweet.
They were heart warming and heart breaking.
But I am comforted by the belief that our mission was blessed by the Love of God.
We touched the lives of those children.  And they touched ours.
God’s Love was on the children’s faces.  God’s Love was in our hearts.

************************





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?